Posted on September 19, 2020 / Christina Arenas by Blue Sage Eco Boutique
Self-care comes in many forms and practices. One of those practices includes decluttering and organizing your space. Clutter is a haven for stagnant energy and chaos. According to a study by UCLA’s Center on Everyday Lives and Families (CELF), there is a direct link between clutter and depression. Clutter has a overwhelming effect on our mood and self-esteem. When you walk into clutter, it clutters the mind. Our home is our sacred space, its purpose is to provide shelter and stability. When we enter into our home, our sacred space, it needs to be place to retreat and ground ourselves. It’s difficult to ground yourself if you are standing in the mist of chaos and clutter.
For example, windows are very important in the art of Feng Shui. “Windows are considered the eyes of those living in the home. Dirty windows lead to blurry perceptions of the world or not being able to see the world clearly. They are also a key to letting out bad energy and letting in good energy. Washing your windows and curtains can make a huge difference to the energy flow of your home” – How to Spring Clean the Feng Shui Way.
Cleaning with Intention means your efforts serve a higher purpose than just typical housekeeping. It’s making a decision to intentionally remove old energy and invite new energy into your space. We are intentionally clearing our space from chaos and welcoming peace.
When it comes to decluttering, the first step always feels like it is the hardest therefore I listed some suggestions to help you get started:
- Have a plan – Write down your decluttering goals and create a realistic plan to reach them.
- Start small – maybe clean your purse or bag. Then gradually begin tackling larger areas.
- Recycle, shred, or throw away any junk mail. Contact the Federal Trade Commission to opt out of receiving junk mail.
- Declutter and make some cash. After going through items you no longer want, try to sell them first. There are many platforms to sell gently used items online. Whatever doesn’t sell, donate.
- Use non-toxic cleaning products – The products we use directly affects the environment. Therefore it’s important to intentionally use non-toxic products in your home.
However you decide to declutter, do it with the intention of self-care and love. Oh and don’t forget to meditate when you are done.
Shop all natural products by all Black artisans at BLK + GRN